(RepublicanDaily.org) – Despite facing an indictment related to the events of January 6, 2021 at the Capitol, former president Trump is disavowing all involvement in the incident and is instead blaming Democratic California Representative Nancy Pelosi for the chaos that ensued that day in Washington D.C.
He alleges that he offered to activate 10,000 members of the National Guard to respond to the protesters, but Pelosi, whom he claims was responsible for security at the Capitol, turned down the offer. He also claimed that the protesters were not there on his behalf, but were instead dispatched to “burn all the evidence” (of what, he did not specify) that was in Pelosi’s office.
Pelosi has responded, slamming the former president and saying that Trump is merely “projecting” the responsibility for January 6 to others.
“He knows he’s responsible for that,” she said. Adding that the incident that day was an attack not only on the Capitol building itself, but also democracy and the Constitution – attacks for which Trump is responsible.
“Shame on him,” the former Speaker of the House said.
Trump made the remarks in a recent interview on “Meet the Press”, which was hosted by Kristen Welker. The sit-down marked the first interview the former commander-in-chief has granted to a mainstream media outlet since he vacated the White House. He previously granted former Fox News host Tucker Carlson an exclusive interview, but that was only released through Twitter.
While the former president was very forthcoming about what he supposed were Pelosi’s many faults that day that he claims allowed January 6 to happen, Trump declined to say whether he watched the events as then unfolded on TV and if he called for law enforcement to intervene once the protesters breached the walls of the Capitol.
“I won’t tell you anything,” he told Welker, only adding that he “behaved well” and “did such a good job” in response to the January 6 incident.
Copyright 2023, RepublicanDaily.org