(RepublicanDaily.org) – Nigeria made headlines around the world last week as hundreds of girls were kidnapped from a boarding school in the northwest of the country. Initial reports stated that 317 girls had been taken in what was the latest in a series of such crimes carried out since December.
On Tuesday, March 2, Zamfara Governor Bello Matawalle announced that 279 girls had been returned safely. Yusuf Idris, a spokesperson for the governor said the original number of victims was incorrect.
279 girls in Nigeria kidnapped from a school last week have been released. Kidnappings are spiking by attackers seeking ransom, though officials deny paying a ransom.
Some girls said attackers beat them with guns: "They said they will shoot anybody who did not continue to walk." pic.twitter.com/Q8JhGJW9NS
— AJ+ (@ajplus) March 2, 2021
Representatives blamed “bandits” for the kidnapping. This is a word used to refer to a variety of types of criminals, including cattle rustlers and armed robbers as well as kidnappers. As noted in the tweet above, government officials deny having paid any ransom to secure the release of the girls.
There was also a mass kidnapping in Nigeria in 2014 when jihadist group Boko Haram abducted 276 girls from a secondary school. It appears this recent kidnapping had no religious or political motive; its perpetrators were simply looking for money. However, not much is certain as nobody has been arrested yet.
Copyright 2021, RepublicanDaily.org