(RepublicanDaily.org) – Former President Donald Trump doesn’t appear to hold as formidable a position within the Republican Party as he once did. Most of the high-profile candidates he endorsed in the midterm elections last November fared relatively poorly, costing the GOP dearly in terms of influence in Congress and in governor’s mansions across the country. Also, a dinner he held with controversial musician and designer Ye (formerly known as Kanye West) and renowned White supremacist Nick Fuentes at his Mar-a-Lago home brought a lot of negative press. However, a recent study has shown that he still has strong support among conservative voters.
The CBS News/YouGov poll asked Republican voters whether they believed it was important for the party to show loyalty to Trump. A total of 65% of respondents believed it was either “very important” or “somewhat important” for the GOP to do so. Another 21% said it was “not too important,” while 14% believed it was “not important at all.”
Republicans also shared their views on candidates with similar policy positions as Trump. A whopping 81% said they prefer candidates who have similar “policies and proposals” to Trump, while the remaining 19% said they would prefer candidates with different approaches in this respect. When it came to the 2020 election and Trump’s claims it was won by fraud, 66% of Republicans would back candidates with similar views to the former president. However, GOP voters were split down the middle on the question of whether a candidate should “handle themselves” in the same way as Trump did or in a different fashion.
35% of Republicans think party loyalty to Trump is “very important,” and another 30% called it “somewhat important.” https://t.co/QEnc7U4rEI
— Todd Kennedy (@pragpro) January 9, 2023
Elsewhere, the poll also revealed that American voters as a whole are feeling more secure about the state of democracy than they did previously, although 62% still believe it is “threatened.” This represents a 10-point change from 72% who felt it was threatened just five months ago.
Copyright 2023, RepublicanDaily.org